Saturday, April 02, 2005

Dying Lights

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Karol Wojtyla, John Paul II, the Pope in Rome for most of my life, lies on his deathbed. I've never been a devout Catholic, but there's always been a certain mystique around JPII. I saw him in person twice when he came to visit this country, the only predominantly Catholic one in Asia. He had the same aura that great leaders tend to have. He was a kindly man, who did far more for the Roman Catholic Church in terms of finding the line between keeping its traditions and changing to face the future than many will realize or admit. He also transcended his role as the leader of Catholicism, and was one world leader about whom no one had a negative thing to say. He was a good man. I think history will find him to be a great man. JP2 had one tough job. I think he did it well.

Thanks, Karol. Say hello to the Big G for all of us down here.

No comments: