Sunday, September 18, 2005

Time to Recommit, and Kuala Lumpur

I'm overthinking this. All I have to do is write a couple of lines a day. Not much more than that. It's not like I have an audience here right?

I just arrived from a business trip to Kuala Lumpur. The city isn't much different from any Asian city. It's greener than Manila, cleaner than Jakarta, but less shiny than Singapore. It's got its share of nice malls.

I got to hook up with an old high school buddy who work with Shell in Malaysia. We had dinner and a couple of beers and talked about how life turns out for each of us. Neither of us was on the "most likely to succeed" list in high school, but having lived expat lives and having advanced a bit up the corporate ladder, we're not doing too bad. He's getting married soon, and I wish him all the best.

The Petronas Twin Towers looked very nice lighted up at night, but hey, they're just a couple of phallic buildings. The two sites I wanted to visit, the National Museum of Malaysia and the Royal Selangor Pewter Plant, I had no time for this trip. I'm still not sure I missed much, and the 10-hour trip via Singapore is more than enough to make the trip less that attractive next time around.

No comments: