Friday, October 28, 2005

Hoops Returns

The MLB World Series was interesting, but the personalities involved weren't all that compelling to me. Sure, it would have been nice to see Clemens get a hometown title, and the Killer B's finally win a title, but the White Sox? Bo-ring. It didn't help that we all knew the Astros were offensively inept. I called the White Sox in 5.

I enjoy watching the NFL games, but this is the time when the injuries build up (and there have been a LOT of them this year). There are no compelling NFL stories to date other than my forlorn Cincy Bungles growing up and becoming a decent team with young Carson Palmer at the helm. They won't win the Super Bowl, but it looks like they'll finally make the playoffs

I was pretty happy when pro hockey came back, depite never having laced on a pair of skates in my life, much less swung a hockey stick at someone's head. My fantasy hockey team is doing quite well, Keith Tkachunky's dead weight riding my bench notwithstanding.

But now the real entertainment is on hand.



The NBA starts up next week. My fantasy hoops draft with my buddies is tonight. Everything is right in the world.

Who goes first? Garnett, reduced to being the best player on a pretty crappy team? The boy wonder LBJ, with his newly-beefed up Cavaliers? The Dirk, he of German engineering?

Outside of fantasy, the league itself has a lot of intriguing subplots. Will the Spurs kill everyone en route to a third title? Will The Phil be able to take his pretty crappy LAL team to the playoffs? Will Yao finally become the best center in the NBA, never mind the best player on his own team? Will Shaq finally get that ring to validate his contention that Buss was stupid to trade him and not Bryant? Will Baron stay healthy enough to get the Warriors back to the playoffs? Will LBJ really make us forget about Jordan?

I like all four major leagues, but basketball is my first love, and will always being the most fun.

No comments: