Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Devil is in the Dust

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I didn't really consider Bruce's last effort, The Rising, as a typical "Bruce album". It was full of 9/11 imagery and it was powerful and parts of it rocked hard, but it was off the beaten track for The Boss.

This is more like it.

Devils and Dust is back to the storytelling Bruce, the dark, quiet version that spawned the haunting Nebraska and the desolate The Ghost of Tom Joad. Devils isn't quite as sparse as the previous two CDs I mention, the former a renowned Boss classic, the latter a forgotten, underrated brilliant work. Its tunes are a bit more upbeat, its instrumentation a bit more robust, but the stories told are, if possible, even more depressing and desparate. Hookers, illegal immigrants, criminals - they're on Bruce's mind again, and they contribute to making this the best album he's made in a good long while.

In my part of the world we get two separate discs - the CD and the DVD with the 5.1 and videos aren't in the very strange "Dualdisc" format that seems to be de rigeur in North America. So, my wife can play the DVD at home while I play the CD in the car. Works for me. I haven't had the chance to take a look at the DVD contents. When I do, I'll post an update.

No comments: