Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Two Kinds of Writing

It's a curse.

I can write on a lot of things. 2,000 words on music? Easy. 3,000 words on a movie or book? Child's play. 4,000 words on a board, card or roleplaying game? No problem.

A 2,000 word contract for work? Stuck. Two weeks and counting. I start reading and editing and I zone out. I try to work it from a template and the words blur. I even tried to do it from scratch from an outline and my writing brain blanks. Holy shit, what's the deal? It's just a bit of legalese; I did this shit for 18 months in my last job and it didn't bother me, what the fuck is wrong now?

Sigh.

This writing thing is so fickle, which is why I always have serious doubts when I consider attempting writing for a living. My writing gene is unreliable. My writing soul is picky.

Tomorrow, there is no work. I will attempt the writing for work from a Starbucks with a steaming hot Peppermint Cafe Mocha on my left, and a nice ham and cheese croissant on my right. If that doesn't work... crap.

No comments: