Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Diaries and Weblogs

I suddenly remember a journal application that I was using way back in the early 90s. It was sort of a diary-like thing, where you made entries and could print them out. It was a simple little thing, and I’d print journal entries on my old Epson dot matrix printer. I still have some of the printouts back in my old desk. Probably fading though. Interesting that blogs have taken over from traditional diaries, and the intention is reversed. Whereas diaries are intended to be personal and secret, blogs are shared with people. In some cases, with the entire internet-going population of the world. When surfing random blogs, the content varies. Blogs like Slashdot and Engadget are informational, and these kinds of things aren’t in the usual diary vein. Many others ARE in the usual diary vein, and contain personal experiences, rants and raves. Some even contain real names, people and places. Reading those gives a peek into what people used to keep secret and personal. Strange that these things can be posted openly for everyone to see, perhaps even the people that the rants are all about.

No comments: